A friend of mine, Angie (whom I’ve known since I returned to Blighty), has a young lass working with her – Kim. When Kim and her chappie Matt decided to get married, the cake was to be a gift. Kim loves butterflies. Angie knows I love butterflies (have I mentioned that before??!!). She also knows I make cakes. You can see where this is going, can’t you? She asked, I agreed and after some texting backwards and forwards, I met with Kim and Matt.
Lovely couple. Even lovelier because they turned up with a piece of paper with several photos and a clear idea of what they wanted: simple, no frills, butterflies “sort of like that one just less fussy” (points to one of the photos on the page). Fabulous. Makes life so much easier when you have a very clear Mission Plan. So: simple, pink butterflies (themed colour), grey ribbon (Matt’s suit). Not Over The Top. We agreed on a floral topper to match her bouquet. Cheerio. I’ll drop it off on the day of the wedding.
We are in the midst of building works here in our house, so a clear surface isn’t readily to be found! I also had to keep anything I made away from dust. And the butterflies needed to be made and hang around for a bit whilst they dried. One Saturday I promised the kids a telly/iPad day if they just Left Me Alone, and started making butterflies. I’d decided to grade the sizes so I could run a waterfall effect down the front of the cake. I also graded the colour from bright pink to palest pink. I made lots of butterflies because I knew flower paste is brittle and they were likely to break. I also didn’t know how many I was going to use but didn’t want to be short. As I was making them, I discovered a new Collective Noun for a whole load of butterflies: a Wedding Cake of butterflies. Or a Traysful of butterflies …
A week later, once my Traysful of butterflies had dried, I dusted them. I confess…I looked at them as they were and thought they looked a tad drab to be Wedding Cake flutterbyzies. So I got out my favourite glitter dust and blinged them up a bit. I had a combination of glittered and lustred ones for maximum effect.
As the cake was a sponge cake, it couldn’t be made too far in advance. So, the week before the wedding, I set to. It was one of my busiest weeks at work too (typical) so balancing the 2 was, er, interesting. I was very glad to get to this stage.
The night before the wedding, I started assembling. I realised very quickly it was going to be finicky and I wasn’t going to be able to do it all before the wedding. I was going to have to go to the Reception venue early and put it together there, otherwise the butterflies would break In Transit. Gah. So, with butterfly casualties mounting
I left the cake at this stage
On the Saturday, I very carefully loaded everything into my car and tootled off to the hall. It took about 6 trips to unload everything – every trip up and down stairs, of course! Once I started assembling the whole cake I realised 2 things: 1) it was exceedingly hot in the room and 2) I didn’t know how to open the doors without setting off the fire alarm. That made keeping dry and steady hands a bit tricky. So I was exceedingly glad when it went together a whole bunch faster and easier than I was expecting. And with only a few more casualties along the way. Thank goodness I made Traysful of butterflies!
Towards the top of the cake, you can see how pale the butterflies have become. I didn’t use very many of the really small ones because I decided to use them as my Signature butterfly. I really do lurve this glitter dust! This is definitely a Wedding-blinged butterfly 🙂
Kim, the bride, posted some photos today on Facebook including the cake. I was thoroughly heartened to see her say “…the cake was Amazing!! It was perfect”. Exactly like they said: Simple. Pink Butterflies (admittedly blinged). Grey ribbon. Floral topper. I consider that a Job Well Done. Oh, and if anyone wants a butterfly or 12, shout!